Pages

Banner

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Happy Mothers' Day!



















I baked these last weekend for a potluck dinner party at mum's house with my "herd" of siblings. I made the steam pumpkin cake (the savoury type which you eat for breakfast, not the angmoh ones!) on the night before. On Saturday I was bored and started to rummage my fridge... I found punnet of blueberries and strawberries which I have bought from Sunmoon the week before.

If you work in Raffles Place, you surely know Sunmoon - the nice little store that sells fresh fruits. Personally I find the fruits there very nice and fresh. You can often find items on discount. Raffles OL, do tell me what you think, k.


















BTW, I suggest you swing by the store if you are nearby. It is located on the basement of Chevron. If you come out from the Raffles MRT station, it is just out of the station passageway.

Back to my bake, I run through my recipes and decide to try out the butter cupcake with these 2 berries!

It has small dome (just like the muffins, which cupcake should not have)... After some research, I realised that's because my oven was too hot. The top baked before the the centre, so when the centre is cooked, it rise and result in a dome. Also, I have forgotten to turn the knob of the heating to top & bottom. What this means is that all the while, only the top was being baked. PS: In the subsequent trial, I turn the temperature down by 10 degree C and use both top & bottom heating element, the cupcake rise very evenly.

I frosted the cuppies simply with vanilla buttercream which I read from "Magnolia Bakery", the famous bakery in the states! *I will post the link when I come back another time. As again, I lost my favourites so am lazy to go google for the webpage.* The flavours is quite self-explanatory, isn't it?

Verdict: anyone loves the cuppies... my 7 yr-old niece says yum-yum "yee-yee is a very good baker!"... She made my evening!

Oops, better not let it get to my head... Belated Happy Mother's Day!

----------------------------------
Blueberry Cupcake (based on Basic Butter Cake)

225g unsalted butter, room temp
225g self raising flour
180g sugar (original : 225g)
4 eggs
4 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 punnet of Blue berries

  1. Cream butter with electric mixer until light and fluffy.
  2. Add sugar and continue to beat for another 2 min.
  3. Add eggs gradually, mix well after each additional.
  4. Add vanilla essence and mix well.
  5. Add flour gradually, and mix well. Batter must be smooth. Add liquid if the batter appears to be too dry.
  6. Bake at 170C-180C for 25min.

No comments: