Pages

Banner

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Kaya & "R" rated-Coffee Cupcake





I can't decide if I should make the kaya or coffee cupcake... so what I did was to divide the batter into 2. So that day all my wishes were fulfilled!

For the kaya, I added a dope of Ah Kun kaya on top of the cupcake then swirl it in with a toothpick.

This coffee is potent - I replace the 60ml of milk with 40ml of Kahlua and 20ml of Bailey's Creme for the xtra strength and omph!

The pix beside compares 2 - though the batter, method is exactly the same, the cupcake is visibly different. The kaya one didn't rise as much. I suspect this is to do with the additional weight on the batter. But hey, apart from the look, the cake taste just as moist and fluffy as the coffee one!

I named this R-rated coffee cupcake because it contains liquor and I'm not sure if it going to have any impact on kids. On the other hand, I guess the alcohol must have evaporated during the baking process and hence should be fine... at least this is how I consoled myself when my 3-year old helped himself to the coffee cupcake!

Shhh, don't let daddy know otherwise I will be accused for Bevis' alcoholism in future!

Recipe
140gm butter, softened
3/4 cup white sugar (90g)
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
200gm plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
60ml of milk

Kaya ~1/3 cup

1. Preheat oven to 160 degrees C.
2. Beat the butter and sugar together with electric mixer until it looks pale.
3. Add egg, 1 at a time until fully incorporated.
4. Add vanilla extract.
5. Add dry ingredients & milk. Mix until uniform. You can use the electric mixer.
6. Fill up muffin cups 3/4 full. Top each cup with 1 tsp of kaya. Swirl with toothpick.
7. Bake for 20min or until the toothpick comes out clean.

For Variation:
* Replace milk with Baileys or Kahlua or any liquor that you like. Be creative!
* For coffee lover, add 5ml coffee emulco.
* Instead of Kaya, you can also use nutella or peanut butter.

PS: I do not like sweet stuff, so all my recipes have been adjusted for a less sweet version. Feel free to up the sugar level to suit your taste.

No comments: