Pages

Banner

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Vegan Peanut Cookie



Here's another eggless recipe ... In fact it is vegan, that is, it contains no animal origins!

It has a nice peanut fragrant and very crumbly. What's more, it is easy to make. I turned on the oven, started weighing and mixing to shaping... all done within 20mins!

But I boo-boo... pour everything - flour, sugar, salt everything into a big bowl, then I put in the ready grounded peanut. Umm, I thought may be I should check if the peanut is still ok (cos it tends to turn rancid in our weather). Lo and behold I quickly pick up the peanut plastic wrap and the ingredients of the ground peanut reads "peanut, sugar"... What it means is I now have overly sweet cookie :-(

Fortunately with the reduced sugar that I normally do with my stuff, this is still ok... the sugar level is just like what you get in commercial bakes.

Flour: I use self rising flour so that the cookie puffs up a little during baking to make the cookie lighter. If you do not have self rising flour, just add 1/2 tsp baking powder.

Sugar: you can use icing sugar for a finer texture. But given the differential cost, I used soft brown sugar.

Fat: you can use butter if you want the buttery taste, but again, to save me time to melt the butter, I used corn oil. If you use butter, then the cookie is not "vegan" anymore. For the same reason, I skipped the egg glaze that usually people do for get the golden brown appearance.

BTW, becos I have not used the egg glaze, the colour of the cookie does not change very much. So you need to watch the timing.

Shaping: To make my life easier, I took the shortcut in shaping. I used a 10ml measuring spoon to measure out the dough. This is not necessary but it give you a consistently sized cookie.



Vegan Peanut Cookie


Ingredients
125 g ground peanuts
100 g self rising flour, sifted
55g icing sugar, sifted
1/8 tsp salt
70g corn oil

Some halved peanut for garnishing

Method

  1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a big mixing bowl, slowly add in oil until it is sufficient to form a soft dough (too much will make the cookie too crumbly).
  2. Form into small balls and topped with a peanut if desired.
  3. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 170 C for about 20mins. Remove, leave to cool before storing

This recipe is fairly small portion - you get only 1 tray of cookies. Do multiply if you like to make and keep for afternoon tea.

No comments: