Pages

Banner

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Kahlua Chocolate Cake (vegan)



If you read baker's blog regularly, you must know Aunty Yochana - she is one of the most prolific baker I have come across! I always read her stuff with envious; everything she makes looked so good!

The day I baked this Kahlua Chocolate Cake from her collection, I was a little disappointed. I made them into cupcake, and reduce the sugar to 50gm. I was faithful to all the rest of the recipe, I swear *POUT*

The cake turned out to be dry and crumbly :-(. The good thing is that, unlike most other cupcake which tends to leave a greasy stain on the muffin cup liner, this is dry and clean. A sure sign of lower fat content. Another reason could be due to me reducing the sugar - the sugar serves as a tenderizer in cakes; so changing the proportion will alter the texture. In any case, this confirms my belief that good food can't be healthy!

So in case you are also trying out this recipe, do let me know how did yours go.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Kahlua Chocolate Cake

200 ml. milk
65 gm. Sugar
1 tsp. Coffee powder
1 tsp. Kahlua (coffee liquer)
90 gm. chopped chocolate
65 gm. margarine
165 gm. cake flour
1 tsp. Baking powder

Method:

  1. Grease and line a nice fluted mould or use a 9" round cake tin. (I use my usual silicon cupcake cases)

  2. Boil milk, sugar and instant coffee over medium heat till sugar and instant coffee powder melts.

  3. Add in margarine and chopped chocolate, off fire. Stir till cool.

  4. Fold in cake flour and baking powder into the cooled chocolate mixture and mix well.

  5. Pour into prepared tin and bake at 175C for about 30 - 35 mins.

  6. Remove from oven and leave on wire rack to cool.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~*~*~*~*~

No comments: