Pages

Banner

Monday, January 19, 2009

Cornflake Cookie




This cornflake cookie has been on my to-bake list for the longest time. When I first saw the recipe at Florence's blog, I chop-chop bought a big pack of cornflake which have been atop the kitchen cabinet for few lonely months.

The timing was just right when I picked up some pretty paper liners and "gourmet butter" Elle & Vire (on offer at Shermay - $16 for 1kg) decided to add this to my Chinese new year goodies.





Changes that I made:
  • This is made eggless, as I always do to my cookies.

  • I rolled the cornflakes on the outside, just coating the cookie, as oppose to adding it to the cookie dough.

  • I added more stuff (orange water & liqueur) to accentuate the orange flavour. Right choice!

  • I doubled the portion and got about 60 pcs.




Cornflake Cookie

Adapted from Florence : Doing What I Like


Ingredients:
220g butter (room temperature)
100g castor sugar
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp vanilla paste (avail from Sun Lik, see pic on right)
1 tbsp orange water (avail from Shermay)
1 tbsp Cointreau (an orange liqueur, optional)
zest from 1 orange
300g cake flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
60-70g cornflakes, lightly crashed

Method:
1. Sieve flour together with baking powder and baking soda.
2. Cream butter with sugar and salt till creamy.
3. Add vanilla paste, orange water and cointreau and mix till well combined.
4. Stir in the orange zest.
5. Fold in the sieved flour mixture. Mix till you get a soft dough.
6. Divide dough into equal pieces and shape into ball.
7. Roll the ball in a bowl of crashed cornflakes to coat it fully.
8. Bake at 175C for 18 - 20 minutes or till golden brown.

Out of the oven!



Love it - another keeper!

Saving for my tea!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I love cornflake cookies! They're one of those cookies where I can just sit down and eat and eat and eat :P

Art of Eating said...

Cool ! I might give it a try too. Haven't been baking lately. Need more push to get engine started.

I intend to Sun Lik - Vanilla paste from them too, until i finished my stock at home.

Where to get Cointreau from ?

Cookie said...

Hi Ovenhaven,
I wish I could offer you some, then you can give me your opinion & advice.

My neighbour told me I should sell this! But I guess I am not ready to take any orders.

Hi AoE,
I hope you try this out soon; a slight twist with the orange zest!

With frequent baking, no need to wait for 1 to finish before buying another one: I have vanilla extract from Jones the Grocer, Shermay (Nielson-Massey Vanillas), this Sun Lik one, and the cheap cheap essence (in baking for in-laws! hahhaha).

I bought Cointreau from the duty-free shop@airport. Another similar one is "Grand Marnier". If do not have them just omit, it's ok.

I have seen the Grand Marnier-extract/essence at Phoon Huat if you really want to try...