Pages

Banner

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Died-and-Went-to-Haven chocolate cake


It's November and my little's birthday is just round the corner. I have been wanting to bake him a birthday though it does seem to me a daunting task! What if the cake didn't turn out well? What if he doesn't like the design? What if I fumble in the bake? Lots of what-ifs... but seeing what fellow blogger like Rei and HHB has made for their children, I am determined to bake Bevis a birthday cake.

First thing first, the recipe must be simple. I only have a miserable small mixer, so if the cake requires lots of whisking or mixing, I am domed.

I found this recipe from here. No whisking, no whipping, no creaming. And all the ingredients are readily in my kitchen. Sure. Let's get ready for a dry run.

Modification:

  • Since I used a different size cake pan, I adjusted the timing accordingly. Bake for 80min at 170C.
  • I have a bottle of cherry balsamic vinegar at home which I used with whole milk in place of the buttermilk.
  • Instead of 1 cup strong coffee, I used 200ml coffee + 40ml kahlua. Total amount still the same though.

The Taste Test:

  1. There's a crust on top of the cake. Goner.
  2. The cake is moist but dense and very heavy. Hubby said" this is not a birthday cake". Period.
  3. The good thing is that this cake is very very dark as you can see from the pix.

Conclusion, this is a good and simple recipe, but will not make it for celebration.

Oh, and btw, if this is haven, I ain't going!!!

PS: I sandwiched the cake with banana, just like what HHB had done... my baby loves banana so this seemed like a sensible addition. But I still need yet to meet the objective. Next week birthday, HOW? *pulling hair*

No comments: