Pages

Banner

Monday, November 24, 2008

Healthy Yee-Mee

The 2 "men" in my family, aka daddy and baby, are sucker for asian food. Not so usual for the 4-yr old as I thought, thanks to the ingenious marketing, they would be more attracted to the western or fast food just like my nieces, nephews and colleagues kids!

He loves hawker food like zichar, fried hokkien prawn noodle and chay kway tiao... mostly the unhealthy stuff. As the saying go, if you can't beat them, join them. Whenever possible I will cook my own healthier hawker food like this one.
I let Bevis help with cooking and ended up with broken noodles!

This is surprisingly easy to cook, and yummy!
I bought the yi-mee from supermarket. It comes in a 340g pack, enough to feed 6.

I just add things that Sheen eats, fish cake, carrot, scallops and xiao bao chai. It is more like a braise method without any oil, hence I think it is healthier.

I brought this to my mum's place over weekend, and my sis said it is as tasty as those from the zichar stall!

The thing about this is everything is up to you. As you boil the stock, taste and add seasoning as appropriate. Stop when it taste good enough for you.
------------------
Healthy Yee Mee
Ingredients:
  • Fish cake, sliced
  • Carrot, sliced
  • Scallops
  • Xiao Bao Chai, sectioned
  • Chicken Stock (or Water) - 1 cup
Seasoning:
  • Oyster sauce
  • Dark sauce
  1. Bring the stock (or water) to boil.
  2. Add all the ingredients into the stock and cover pot until boil.
  3. Add oyster sauce & dark sauce to taste.
  4. Add yee-mee into the stock, boil for 3 min, then off the fire. The noodle will absorb flavourful the stock and becomes soft and tasty.
You notice that there's no xiao bao chai leaves in the dish? All the leaves are reserved for our bunny. Sometimes the pet does get the icing topping on the cake!

No comments: