Pages

Banner

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Chocolate Mayo Cake


This chocolate cake is one of the best (so far)... comes second to Natalie's Devil Choc Cake (c'mon Natalie, what do I have to do to get my hands on your well guarded recipe???)

No egg is used but I hesitate to call this eggless since the mayo takes the place of butter and eggs. I know using mayo for baking sounds odd, it taste fabulous!

This choc mayo cake is soft and moist, yet not heavy like some buttermilk cake recipe. I baked this before but have long forgotten how it taste. I am sick at home and just want a quick and simple recipe so I settled for this.

It is really easy one... I can measure out everything, mix and send into oven within 20 min!



-------------
Chocolate Mayo Cake

110g mayonnaise
125ml buttermilk (I use milk powder+water+1.5 tbsp vinegar)
1 tsp vanilla essence
120g all-purpose plain flour (I used Gold Medal 10% protein)
20g cocoa powder (2 tbsp)
1-1/2 tsp bicarbonate soda
90g sugar

Method:
1) Preheat oven and line muffin tray.
2) Sift flour, cocoa and bicarbonate soda together.
3) Place the sugar and sifted flour mixture into a bowl.
4) In a separate bowl, mix the mayo, vanilla essence and buttermilk till smooth.
5) Add mayo mixture to the flour and mix till the batter is smooth.
6) Pour mixture into prepared pan (70% mark) and bake at 170 deg C for 20-25 minutes.

Note:

  • Cake will shrink slightly when cool.
  • This cake puffs up alot! Fill up to 70% mark (max).
  • I think it taste better couple hours later... best left overnight!


    recipe source: Kitchen Capers

3 comments:

Art of Eating said...

Take care get well soon ! Happy holiday.

Bharti said...

Wow..I've never of mayo in cakes. How unique.

Cookie said...

AOE,
thanks... I recovered, and catch the flur bug from my son now! Sigh.

Bharti,
Give it a try. The taste is nothing like the mayo. Yum!