Pages

Banner

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

American Carrot Cake


The carrot has been sitting in the freezer for weeks... waiting to be baked. In my minuscule effort save the suffering egg-hen, I set myself a monthly egg quota. This quota has been used up due to several birthdays of late. Tsk.

I tried hard to find a eggless carrot cake. There ain't any. Don't ask me why. And for god's sake DON'T remind me of my failed eggless sponge!

When I entered the new month, first thing first was to clear this pathetic cup of carrot in my freezer! I make sure this is a worthy recipe to sacrifice the precious eggs


Carrot Cake
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 eggs
1 cup grapeseed oil
1 ½ cup plain flour
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 tsp. bicarb. soda
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon powder
1 1/2 cup shredded carrot

  1. Beat sugar, oil and eggs for 5 mins. It should be whiter and fluffy, with its volume at least doubled.
  2. Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, bicarb.and add to the sugar mixture and beat on low until just combined.
  3. Lastly fold in the carrots and nuts.
  4. Bake in a well-greased tin at 180 degrees C. My loaf pan takes 35min with heating core, and 20min for cupcakes,.


Baker's Notes:
  • It is moist and yummy. You can see the carrots bits - healthy and wholesome. Just like me.
  • Oil: Next time I will use 1~2 tbsp less as the liner was very oily. I would replace it with pineapple juice (or any other liquid) to compensate for the loss in fat.
  • Walnuts: I use only ¼ cup as I am not NUTS about nuts. Anyway, nuts contains good oil which your body needs. If you like the nutty texture, do ahead to use 1/2 cup!
  • Yield: 1 loaf pan + 6 cupcake.


Personally I like cinnamon... lots of it... so it's extra dash of cinnamon for me!


This cute one is for Sheen... needless to say!


The rest, I brought to my only sis!

1 comment:

Cookie said...

Once again, my aged finger have accidentally "rejected" all the comments... My apologies!

------------
Halimah has left a new comment on your post "American Carrot Cake":

Is there a reason why you don't take eggs?

Anyway, there are vegan carrot cakes that don't use eggs and diary. I haven't tried this recipe yet but it comes from a famous vegan cookbooks author and this recipe has received many good reviews:

http://www.chow.com/recipes/10139

I do hope to make it one day but the problem is that can't find vegan cream cheese in SG to go with it :( It is widely available in the US. Sian!

------------
Hi Halimah,

I take eggs but will try to reduce where possible. I watched a video run by Vegetarian Org which shows the sufferings of egg hen...their condition is even far worst than the meat hen :-( I do my part by reducing the demand... teeny bit though.

Thanks for sharing the recipe... I have not seen it and glad you shared. I was trying out the serveal basic white eggless cake recipe so that I can try to derive variations but so far have all failed! Certainly I am going to try this out after the crazy CNY baking!

vegan cream cheese - I never seen this in SG also... I will inform you if I manage to find it! And you sama sama, k!