Pages

Banner

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Cornmeal Cookie


Look at the clean neat edges... no spreading!


The original recipe came from Nic's Baking Sheet. I decided to replace the citrus fruits cos I already have the orangey cornflakes cookie. I don't want all my cookies to taste similar.


Also no cranberry cos I am going to make this into rollout cookie. The presence of cranberry nibblets may add challenges to cookie cutting.

I looked into my "inventory", and settled for Rum.




Cornmeal Cookies
adapted from http://bakingsheet.blogspot.com/2006/02/cranberry-citrus-cornmeal-cookies.html
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tbsp rum
2 cups ap flour
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

  1. In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars. Beat in vanilla and rum
    In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking power and salt.

  2. Working in two or three additions, mix flour mixture into butter mixture by hand or with a mixer at low speed. Dough will be crumbly. Press dough down with your hands, then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour (I left it overnight).

  3. Preheat oven to 350F (175C). Roll out the dough between 2 grease proof paper. Cut with cookie and place on a parchment lined cookie sheet. Cookies will not spread very much at all, so there is not need to leave a lot of space.

  4. Bake for 12-14 minutes, until just browned on the bottom edge.

  5. Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5-10 minutes, then remove to a wire rack.

  6. Store in an airtight container.

Cookie rolling & cutting is quite tedious for me... so for the rest of the dough, I simply roll it up like a log, and sliced. Coating the log with some hundreds and thousands adds a playful touch!


1 comment:

Cookie said...

Once again, my aged finger have accidentally "rejected" all the comments... My apologies!

------------
Halimah has left a new comment on your post "Cornmeal Cookie":

Ohhh very creative to add the 100 and 1000s. I think kids will like it! And yes I do love the clean lines! Very nice

------------

Thanks... My son is preoccupied with the strawberries cookie... so I had the cornmeal cookie to myself :-)

...cookie