Pages

Banner

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Double Chocolate Mint Cookies


This cookie was created by Gina back in 2005, and it started a craze in Kitchen Capers. (see her fan's review here. To get the original recipe click here . The one I posted here has been adapted for my eggless version:

Ingredients
115g salted butter
180g Self Raising flour } sifted together *
1 tbsp cocoa powder } sifted together *
50g castor sugar *
30g light brown sugar *
40ml milk *
40g candy cane *
1 cup of mini chocolate chips *

Method
1. Chopped the candy cane finely and set aside.
2. Cream butter, sugar in a mixing bowl till creamy.
3. Add milk to beat till well mixed.
4. Turn off mixer and fold in flour & cocoa mixture. When combined, gently stir in chocolate chips and crushed mint.
5. Lined a baking tray with baking paper. Do not grease or the cookie will spread even more.
6. Drop small tsp of dough onto the lined baking tray. Leave sufficient space for cookie to spread.
7. Bake in preheated oven 180C for ~10 mins. *
8. Remove and cool completely on wire rack.

My Notes: (* changes I've made to the recipe)

  • Candy canes , this is said to be a suitable substitute for polo in the forum but IMHO, this is not the ideal candy. The candy cane is very stickly when chopped, and I still end up with lumps of candies. Also, when baked, the candy boiled and flow over, creating "valcono craters" in your cookie. In addition, it makes the cookie very sticky though it hardens and becomes better when cooled.
  • Chocolate - the large amount of chocolate makes it burnt easily, especially if your baking tray is dark coloured like mine. I didn't take note of the exact timing but I had to turn down the temperature mid way thru', and off the oven before the time was up.
  • I replaced egg with milk.
  • Sifting flour and cocoa powder together makes folding-in easier.
  • I reduced the sugar from the original 80g white + 50g brown but it is still too sweet for me. Could be due to my chocolate chips being semi-sweet.
  • Due to the size of the cookie, mini chocolate chips is better than the regular chips.

Overall, this is a very rich chocolate cookie... fit for chocoholics. But I think it could be better... next round, I will play with polo mint, peppermint extract or mint choco.

Wish me luck.

No comments: