Pages

Banner

Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Mini Clearance 4: Matcha Sponge Cake

Finally, the last thing before I hit the sack:




Matcha (Green Tea) Sponge Cake
Adapted from http://angelaphua.multiply.com/photos/album/345


Green tea go exceptionally well with azuki bean like carrot cake with cream cheese frosting by I omitted the azuki bean this bake cos I if I open the canned azuki bean, I am going to leave the balance in the fridge till I get back from the trip.

Ingredients:
(A)
4 eggs
60g sugar (I used 50g)
80g plain flour, sifted
2 ½ tsp matcha, sifted (use 3 tsp or more for a stronger matcha taste)
¾ tbsp cake emulsifier (aka SP or ovalett)
2 tbsp water

(B)
50ml corn oil (I use canola oil)

1) Whisk (A) at high speed untill thick and fluffy (take about 7 mins).
2) Add (B) stir well at low speed.
3) Pour cake batter to a ungreased 8" round pan.
4) Bake in preheat oven at 180C for about 25 mins till cooked. Unmould and transfer to wire rack for cooling.

Verdict:

  • I only used half the recipe (to use up the last 2 eggs) and used a 6” round pan. It turned up to be a very low cake. May be between 1 and 2 centimeters, that’s it.

  • I am still quite helpless when it comes to sponge cake. The basic principle is to beat until ribbon stage (i.e. if you use the whisker to write a figure 8, it will stay visible as you count to 10). For me, the ribbon stage comes as soon as 3min of beating, and it seemed no difference to me at 3rd minute or 7th minute!
  • The sponge cake is quite sturdy – and I plan to use this as a base for all layered cake in future!
  • The cake itself is not sweet with a hint of green tea. The sweetness comes from the creamy frosting.
  • The frosting in the pix looks sloppy rustic cos it was a last minute job. I didn't want the frosting initially but the cake was far too bland... I think I should have sticked to 60g sugar, not forgeting the original recipe already had the sugar content adjusted for the sweetness from azuki beans.

This was my breakfast!
Hurray, I managed to clear out all these in a night!.

  • cooked rice,
  • 3 egg yolks
  • 2 eggs
  • mandarin orange juice
  • spareribs
  • soup premix

2 comments:

Art of Eating said...

At least a good try for you on matcha sponge cake.

I'm not a matcha person, the only thing i like is the green tea drinks.

Cookie said...

I like green tea drink too, so I thought a matcha cake is a good idea!!!

After tasting this, I have to agree with you that some things are better left as it's original state.