Pages

Banner

Wednesday, June 3, 2009

17hr low temp ferment bread

It must have been over a month sinceI baked this... I saved this post in the draft box cos I was thinking of giving it a 2nd attempt first.

What happened is this... first the sponge was very very dry. I added another 10ml of water.

After I patiently ferment it for 17hours, I went ahead to prepare the main dough, with some extra water on hand, just in case. Surprise Surprise, it is now extremely wet.

I thought it was becos I omitted the sesame powder+ replaced some part of the bread flour with wholemeal flour (very little though, just 50g). In the end, I added another 55g of bread flour to make the dough more manageable.

Few nights ago, I saw that KWF had the same problem... so not my problem lah... hehehe.



17 hour low temperature pre-ferment dough method
Recipe source: precious moments

Pre-ferment dough :
449g bread flour
256g water
6.5g yeast
6g sea salt
13g milk powder
Dissolve the yeast in water. Add bread flour, sea salt, milk powder and knead till soft. Cover the dough with cling wrap and chill to let it prove for 17 hours.

Main Dough :
192g bread flour
19g milk powder
6g sea salt
64g sugar
130g water
58g egg (approx 1 egg)
3g yeast
51g unsalted butter
51g black sesame powder - I omitted

Black sesame paste (sweet) - I omitted
White sesame seed - I omitted

Method
1. Knead all ingredients together except butter till smooth. Add in the pre-ferment dough (small piece each addition). Knead well after each addition.
2. Once dough is smooth, add in butter and knead till it passed the window pane test.
3. Put the dough in a bowl, cling wrap and proof for 20 - 30 mins.
4. Divide the dough into 6 portions. Flatten each portion with your hand to drive out the air. Shape into a square and cover the dough in cling wrap. Proof for another 20 mins.
5. Punch out the air again and roll the dough into a rectangular sheet. Spread the black sesame paste on top. Fold about 2cm from all edges. The width dimension should be the size of your baking tin. Roll the dough up from one end. Spray water onto the loaf and sprinkle white sesame seed. Place the dough into the tin. Cover with cling wrap and further proof for 30-40mins till dough in size.
6. Bake for 170˚C for about 30 - 35 mins.

My Note:
· Bread was soft, but not particularly better than those S&D method in Chef Alex Goh's book.





This is a large portion of dough - I made them into ham & cheese (Sheen's fav), pineapple paste (leftover from pineapple tarts) , and a "gardenia" loave with apricot and pistachio nuts.

No comments: