My family have very interesting birthdays - sis is Sep 9, mum's Aug 8. Yeah, August, which means this is another long overdue post.
Mainly I struggle to find things to write about my mum. Of course as a mother, she has many virtues... (Some I secretly wished my MIL had). Being a eldest to 11 siblings, she never had the chance to attend school, yet today she can read newspapers, and an avid sudoko player. For what she believes, we all have tertiary education without having to worry about finances. I know we owe alot to her.
Yet looking back, my mum and I actually had a rather turbulence relationship though they are long behind us. We are now cordial as a mother-daughter can be. Even then, I can't help feeling that it was due to the fact that I am a "useful" daughter. Anyway, let's not start my rants here...
Back to the birthday, she is a stauch buddist so most of the times she is on vegetarian diet. So the first prequisite is that the cake has to be eggless. An eggless cake is something that I am still struggling to get it right. (Plead: anyone who has a fail proof white/yellow cake recipe pls call me.)
The middle layer - mousse with cutted mango pieces
Eggless Sponge Cake
Adpated from Alex Goh's Baking Code
120g Sugar (original 160g)
1 tsp vanilla essence
240g Plain Flour
1 ¾ tsp baking powder
1. cream butter and sugar until light
2. add milk & vanilla essence gradually, whip until light and smooth
3. add flour + baking powder, mix until well blended.
4. Bake in 20cm round mould in 180C oven for 50min.
- The cake itself has a nice aroma though it’s not light and fluffy. It’s flat in appearance and thicker in texture, sticks to the tongue and palate and tastes almost like a butter cake... I guess it is back to the recipe to research again.
- To make the mouse, see here for recipe - just place strawberry with whatever fruits you fancy.
- I omitted gelatine since they are animal origin, and hence not suitable for vegetarian diets.
Mum with her 2 youngest grandchildren.
Sheen said "thumbs up", but to granny or the baker?
Si-Ting will have a special place in my mum's heart cos she's the only grandchild brought up by her.