Pages

Banner

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Traditional Mooncake


The first time I baked mooncake was more than 10 years ago...when I still couldn't afford to pay for the classes. It was a free class that comes with purchase of National microwave oven, I remembered quite vividly.


A decade later, I decided to try my hand on the baked mooncake cos the snowskin, though easier and prettier, contains far too much sugar.



Traditional Baked Mooncake
What you need:



Recipe is from http://wlteef.blogspot.com/search?q=mooncake Florence:

Ingredient: (10 standard mooncakes-150g and 8 mini ones-25g)
300g plain flour (I used Hong Kong Flour)
90g peanut oil
195g golden syrup (I used Abram Lyles)
1.5 tsp alkaline water

Filling:
1kg lotus seed paste
10 salted egg yolks (optional)
toasted melon seeds (optional)

Egg wash:
1 yolk + 1 tsp water lightly beaten and strain (I used super glaze)

Method:




  1. Mix peanut oil, golden syrup and alkaline water together in a big cup and stir till mixture is well combine. (It will mix better if you warm them slightly)



  2. Sieve flour into a mixing bowl. Make a well in the flour and pour in the warm syrup. Mix till a dough is formed. Cover the mixing bowl with a wet towel and rest the dough for 15 -20 minutes.



  3. Divide dough and filling according to the size of your mould. Shape the dough into a round flat sheet with sides thinner than the centre.



  4. Wrap in the filling and mould it into a ball shape. Coat it with flour. (I find it essential to coat with flour. The one with flour does have a clear imprints on te mooncake after baked)



  5. Dredge wooden mooncake mould with flour, brush away any excess. Put the mooncake into the mould. Flatten it with your floured palms and make sure that the mooncake fills up the mould nicely.



  6. To dislodge the mooncake, bang the mould on a hard surface with equal force in the north, south, east and west direction.



  7. Place mooncakes on a lined pan and spray the mooncakes with some water. Bake at 180C - 190C for 18 - 20 minutes. Remove from oven, cool the cakes for 15 - 20 minutes then apply egg wash and bake for another 15 - 20 minutes or till golden brown. As every oven varies, please standby to check on your mooncakes. This temperature and timing is for a 150g standard size mooncakes. (I didn't bother to check the timing, just look out for the browning, also I only glaze the mooncake after it is baked and cooled)



  8. Store cooled mooncakes in an airtight container and serve only after 3 days.




Notes:
Salted egg yolks
I soaked the yolks in Chinese wine (紹興酒 or 玫瑰露) for 15 minutes.
I used raw yolks but you can bake it at 160C for 2 - 3 minutes.
If you are adding in egg yolk, wrap the yolk in the lotus seed paste.
(I steamed the salted egg for few minutes but find that it turned rather dry. )




I made these mooncake using the mould from Elyn... it is such a breeze to use. No need to knock and catch!





Made these few Pooh mooncake using the leftovers dough. Sheen loves them;


I used the white lotus filling from Phoon Huat this time... cos KCT was already closed when I reached there at 6 plus!!!


I do think that KCT has better paste!!!




Updated 2/10:

I am so happy that the skin turn out to be thin enough. And the yolk was quite central. Heehee. My only complain - should have cut the mooncake with a sharp knife!

4 comments:

Blessed Homemaker said...

The imprints are very nice! I like KCT's paste too. Going to try my hands on baked moonies later.

ann low said...

The baked mooncake look pretty with the new mould. I think the best white lotus filling is from Sunlik, not too sweet and fragrant.

Art of Eating said...

I remember those good old days attending National conducted cooking classes. I really learned and enjoyed alot.

I still keep their mooncake recipe. Hahahah ... those were the days...

Cookie said...

Blessed Homemaker,
The only problem I have with KCT is that it opens during office hours only. I have to take leave to go there :-(

BTW, You moonies looks cute!

Anncoo,
thanks for the tips - I didn't manage get to Sunlik due to road closure for F1 :-(

AoE,
I find that the cooking class in the older days are better structured and the instructors better qualified.

Sama, I also still keep their recipes, though they are so old that some pages stuck to each other. Haha.