Pages

Banner

Thursday, March 18, 2010

too simple to be good...

With the little success I had with the previos rolled cake, I went on to try make another rolled cake for chinese new year lunch with my former colleagues the next day.

This is another recipe from the book "Okashi". It has very simple ingredients - flour, sugar and egg. On a workday night, simple recipe is all I can handle.

I had a punnet of blueberries and sweet korean strawberries in my fridge:


Unfortunately, the simple recipe gives very simply disappointing results.

First, the cake sticks to the baking sheet badly. I had a hard time trying to separate the cake from baking paper... and despite doing this very slowly and carefully, I still have spots of cakes on the paper, and the ended up having a terribly pokey surface. It would have been better if I rolled the browned surface out, but as I have already rolled the cake while was hot, I am not able to roll them in a reverse direction without breaking the cake.

Then the cake contains neither butter nor oil. While it this makes it a healthier option, it means the cake is best eaten on the same day. Over time, it dried abit and the cake got crumbly with slightly rough granules.

In the end, I decided not to embarass myself with this less-than-perfect cake. I packed this for my breakfast for the rest of the week!

No comments: