Pages

Banner

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Macadamia Nut Cookies

I was at SunnyChoice this morning and saw this pack of macademia nut.
I've seen the Macadamia Nut Cookies on Oi Lin's videoblog and recalled what she wrote: "To me, these cookies are pretty close to being the ultimate cookie because they are crunchy, buttery and really fragrant! This recipe is a must-try."

Without further ado, here we go!



Macadamia Nut Cookies

Ingredients:
280g plain flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
120g unsalted butter, cubed and softened
140g caster sugar (I used 100g, sweet enough for me)
50g light brown sugar (do not replace with white sugar)
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence (I used the extract)
50ml cooking oil or melted butter
250g raw macadamia nuts
Egg glaze: 1 egg, beaten lightly (I ommitted this)

Method:

  1. Sift flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.

  2. Beat butter, caster sugar and light brown sugar for a few minutes till fluffy.

  3. Beat egg with vanilla essence and add gradually to butter mixture (with the mixer still on).

  4. Add cooking oil. Beat till well combined.

  5. Add butter mixture to flour mixture. Fold till combined. Do not overhandle the dough.

  6. Preheat oven till 180°C.

  7. Scoop 1 teaspoon of dough and shape into a ball. Arrange dough on the tray about 2 inches apart. Press 3 to 4 nuts into each ball of dough. Press till nuts touch the bottom of the tray, then use your fingers to ‘gather’ the edges of the cookies (see video above) to prevent the dough from spreading too much during baking.

  8. Brush with egg glaze (I omitted this). Bake for 14 minutes till golden brown.

  9. Allow cookies to cool for a few minutes on the baking tray before transferring them to a wire rack to cool completely.

  10. Store in an airtight container.



Baker's notes:


  • Pls goto Oi Lin's blog to see her step-by-step illustration.

  • I need to exercise my fat arms, so instead of the electric mixer, I did all by hand.

  • Check the cookies in the oven regularly - I baked mine at 180C for 14 min, and they all burnt. Every oven is different, just keep an eye, once it starts to brown, can adjust the temperature accordingly.
  • I tried to pipe them into rounds but the dough is too firm for piping.

Taste Test:

It is as good as the originator's claim... I brought them to work and my colleagues emptied the container in the first hour! Having said, this is not a recipe that I will be revisiting soon cos the macademia nut is soooo expensive... $6.50 for a 100gm pack!

No comments: