Pages

Banner

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Best Chocolate Muffin by Dan Lepard



When I first saw this recipe by my favourite baker Dan Lepard, I went, huh Chocolate CUSTARD muffins!?!?

While blog-hopping, I found several other bloggers like this and this who raved how decadent and divine they are!

So when my childhood friend LiKian told me she wants to learn to make chocolate muffin, I know this shall be the one! (BTW, we both had a fun afternoon baking together, an additional bonus to the rich, light, soft, satisfying muffin)


Usually muffin are made with a mix-and-stir method, but this is different like chalk and cheese.
Soft, rich and chocolatey...yum! They look (and taste) so good with the chocolate chunks. Go try these out!

***********************************


Here's the recipe for the best chocolate muffin. Ever.


Chocolate Custard Muffins
50g cornflour
3 level tbsp cocoa
100g dark soft brown sugar (I used 70g)
225ml cold water
75g unsalted butter, cubed
125g dark chocolate, broken small
75ml sunflower oil
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
125g caster sugar
125g plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder

Make the custard first: place the cornflour, cocoa, brown sugar and water into a saucepan and whisk together constantly over a medium heat until boiling, very thick and smooth. (Mine actually looks lumpy now).

Remove from the heat, beat in the chocolate and butter until melted and absorbed (now, finally, smooth). Add the oil, vanilla and one of the eggs and beat again until combined, then add the remaining egg with the caster sugar and beat until smooth and thick.

Measure the flour and baking powder into a small bowl, stir together then sift this directly onto the custard and beat through until combined. Spoon into a dozen paper muffin cases sitting in the pockets of a muffin tray, heat the oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4 and bake for 25 minutes.
***********************************
I added the callebaut choco chunks on top. Li-Kian loves nuts, so she added heaps of chopped walnut as well. She later sms me to tell me her family loves me for these muffins!

6 comments:

petite nyonya said...

The muffins look so chocolatey-ly good!

ann low said...

This looks good and special :)

Art of Eating said...

Custard muffin ... my 1st thought ... where is the use of custard. hahahha

Looks good, shall KIV in my to make list.

Cookie said...

Hi petite nyonya,
thanks. Do give it a go when you can!

Hi Anncoo,
Yes, this is special, and exceptionally good!

Hi YY,
Haha, first time I saw the title, I thot custard is the filling!

natasya said...

Baked this last night.
They're super. Very little washing up to do too. I agree, this is so far the best Chocolate Muffins.

Cookie said...

Hi natasya,
Glad you enjoyed them!

If you have a blog, can you pls provide the link...

Cheers!