Pages

Banner

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The Perfect Butter Cake


Simply Delicious Yellow Cake
(adapted from The Sweeter Side Of Amy’s Bread, by Amy Scherber and Toy Kim Dupree)
I get this from crummb .

210g unbleached flour (e.g. Gold Medal brand at Cold Storage in Holland Village)
1/2 Tbs + 1/2 tsp baking powder (1x10ml spoon)
1/2 tsp sea salt
170g full-cream milk, at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla extract
160g unsalted butter, slightly softened
210g castor sugar
130g eggs (about 2-1/2 eggs), at room temperature

1. Preheat oven to 180 deg C. Line bottom of a 9-inch pan with parchment. Butter and flour the bottom and sides of pan.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, salt together, then whisk with fork for even distribution.
3. In a separate bowl, combine milk and vanilla.
4. Using an electric mixer with paddle attachment, beat butter on medium for about 30 seconds (if you have a KitchenAid, turn on to power #4). Add sugar slowly and beat on medium-high (KitchenAid #6) for 2-1/2 minutes. Then add eggs slowly and beat on low (KitchenAid #2) until just mixed in. Scrape down the sides occasionally to ensure thorough mixing.
5. Reduce speed to the lowest possible (KitchenAid #1) and add in flour mixture in three parts, alternating with 2 parts of milk mixture - beginning and ending with flour mixture. Do not overmix. The final batter should be smooth and luxuriously runny, almost like whipped cream.

Bake for 1 hour or until the cake is just beginning to shrink away from the sides of the pan.


Notes:


  • I resized the recipe to use up the entire 200g-block butter. Cos I have no space to keep the balance 40g butter. Simply multipy every single ingredient by 1.25 if you wanna do the same.

  • I only use 180g sugar for my resized recipe. It is of the right sweetness for most colleagues. (some say it can be sweeter.) I may try 160g next time. I normally reduce the sugar content by ~30% if baking with ang-moh recipe.

  • I should've used 163g of egg but I simply used 3 eggs (150g in my case), and top up the rest of the liquid by milk (213g+13g).

  • I used double action baking powder for this.

  • As in any butter cake, it depends on butter for flavour... so this is not one recipe where I can get away with cheapo butter. Elle & Vire is just so right for this, I gotta tell you!

  • My first cake rise to a dome. For the 2nd one, I use the small spoon to push the batter to the sides to almost 1/2 an inch ; I get a nice flat top after the cake cooled.

No comments: